The next process after modelling the props was to set the UV layout for each piece, however before I could move on with the UV texturing process I had to approach the over complicated mesh by merging vertices together! It was pretty handy that I could merge without the worry of creating triangles seeing as the props are on a pop up set and are completely flat (except for a single extrusion on the outside edge to give it a slight 3D illusion).
Once that was sorted I was to get on with UV texturing the props, most of the props I used a basic planar map on as I think I am going to use a shader with a ramp and interpolation to build the impression of end grain in the wooden props, this will be something which will be shown for a split second as the prop is in motion so I'm not too worried about finessing a perfect highly detailed to the end of the wood but rather something which will be much more time effective with Maya shading network.
The only piece which needed real unfolding was the walls as they will perhaps swing when knocked and will reveal a lot more side detail etc. (See figure 1,2, and 3).
Fig.1: Scaling the objects to relative size with one another and applying them to a UV snapshot
Fig.2: The UV layout for the post
Fig.3: UV Layout for the walls
After I had the UV's I took a UV snapshot to paint on inside photo shop (see fig.4) and then began to paint inside them, luckily most needed only to be scaled into the correct position as was the case with the treaty, in fig.5 however some props I will have to re paint because the over scaling from the original orthographic drawings is blurring the pixels and requires a higher resolution.
The next step is fairly self explanatory I brought the images back into Maya and applied them to blinns to be projected over the props. (See fig.6 and fig7.)
Fig.7: Treaty Textured
The next step in the environment design aside from finishing off the texturing process across all of the props and making sure that they are fully refined will be to build the shader I spoke of above for the extrusions which will build the sides of the pop ups.
I will then move on to working on the supports of the props e.g: if they will be hanging from rope or lifted from wooden stands etc.
Whilst this is all underway I plan to create some props in 3D. After a discussion with my group members we have decided that certain props should maintain a 3D character (especially if the Viking interacts with them). I personally feel that prop elements such as the sack will be at their most strongest as a 3D element. Our animation has a strong potential to lean into the 2D realm of after effects or further into the 3D abilities of Maya. I don't want for the animation to be lost too far in the place of the 2D seeing as we are planning on using the stage as an image which doesn't move (as though you are sitting in the audience watching this theatre performance).